Headlines from the NNPCF Steering Group Meeting – March 2017
April 6, 2017
The NNPCF Steering Group met on Monday 13th March 2017. Below we have listed some of the key headlines from the meeting:
- The NNPCF Steering Group reflected on the NNPCF Visioning Days in early March and the potential next steps for us to develop these foundations. Regional reps will be reporting directly to their regions about this in due course.
- The Steering Group also signed off a number of documents in relation to Communication. The purpose of these documents is to support our internal structure and how we support our reps to focus on areas of expertise such as social media and consultations on behalf of the NNPCF.
- The group agreed to pilot sharing the NNPCF Steering Group minutes to our members. The final minutes from our January meeting will be made available on the website.
- We have explored a tool which would support us to report more efficiently and allowing us to access data from activities of the Steering Group. This project has been ongoing for some time, with regular discussion taking place about the potential positive outcomes this could have on our internal processes.
- Stuart Miller Deputy Director of the SEN Policy 0-25 Unit came to speak to us, he shared that the SEN Policy division was moving from Children Service Unit into the Education Division which would be an opportunity to work more with Education and reflect the SEN element within the department. We raised questions and concerns around:
- Post 2018 and how the landscape may change including what impact this could have on forums.
- SEN Support and the work that needs to be done in this area with assurances offered that SEN support is becoming a key area of focus.
- We were then joined by Gareth Ashcroft who oversees the SEND area inspections for the Department for Education SEND Unit alongside the lead CQC Inspector, the NHS England SEND lead, and lead Ofsted inspector. They reflected that this was a good time to hear about the process of inspections from Steering Group members:
- We spoke about what Parent Carer Forums had experienced so far.
- Raised common themes for the forums, including capacity and expectations of involvement as well as some key concerns raised across the regions.
- Steering Group members were invited to take part in training for all Ofsted & CQC inspectors in April, providing a presentation on Parent Carer Forums and brief overview of experience to date.
- It was agreed that Ofsted & CQC would write an article in our Joint Bulletin that the NNPCF & Contact a Family send out to forums.
- Ofsted & CQC have said they would like to continue to meet with the Steering Group at least twice a year.